Microsoft Outlook Express is a different application from Microsoft Office Outlook, which has comparatively fewer features. Outlook Express is just a news and email client that comes along with Internet Explorer from 4.0-6.0. OE is actually available with most of the Microsoft Windows versions from Windows 98- 2003. It is also bundled with Microsoft Windows NT 3.51, Windows 3.x, Mac OS 9 and Windows 95.
In newer Microsoft Windows operating systems like Vista, Windows Mail replaces Outlook Express. This application was again superseded by Windows Live Mail, but as separate software.
That’s just an introduction to Outlook Express, now we would move on to creating a new email account.
Steps to setup an email account from Outlook Express help
- Open Microsoft Outlook Express application, then go to Tools, and click Accounts option.
- Now, you would find an internet account pop up screen in front of you. In this window, select Mail tab and proceed by clicking on the options Add >> Mail.
- This would open up an Internet Connection Wizard window as pop up and this would ask you to enter your name. You need to type in your name first and then a descriptive name, which would represent your email address. When you are done with this step, hit Next.
- Now, you have to enter your email address and an email address with your desired username in the format username@yourdomainname. Click Next and go to the next step.
- Outlook Express Help suggests you to choose the settings as follows:
- Incoming Mail Server (POP3) as “mail.yourdomainname”
- Outgoing Mail Server(SMTP) as “mail.yourdomainname”
- Click Next option after making the changes as suggested in the step above.
- Your full name is same as the account name, which has to be entered now. The format would be “username@yourdomainname” and type in the specific password in the field provided. Again, hit Next option when done.
- Click Finish button now. This would display you a Mail tab in the pop up window by the name Internet Account.
- Now double click on the icon representing the newly created account, which in turn will pop up the window for Account properties.
- Open Server tab now and click to check the small box against the option My Server Requires Authentication. Apply the changes made and click OK.
You can clear doubts regarding OE by reading tech blogs and forums provided by Outlook Express help.Google+